Saturday, November 21, 2009

Around the World in 80 Fleeces



Welcome to my very first blog post. I am a fanatical spinner and I am trying all the different fleeces all over the world, that I can get my hands on of course. In some cases I have to buy in bulk, so I am able to offer samples to others through my Etsy Store.

Thus far I have spun.....

From New Zealand

  1. NZ Half Breed****
  2. Polwarth****
  3. Gotland**.5
  4. Merino****.5
  5. Merino/Possum blend*****

From Australia

  1. English Leicester**.5
  2. Border Leicester*
  3. Merino****.5
  4. Corriedale****
  5. Polwarth****
  6. Romney **
  7. Mohair (from Angora Goats) ****
  8. Angora (from Rabbits)*****.5
  9. Cashmere (from goats)*****.5
  10. East Friesian Milking sheep***
  11. Finniah Landrace***.5
  12. Perendale**
  13. Alpaca*****
  14. Silk****
  15. Baby Camel*****.5
  16. Texel**
  17. Hemp*
  18. Cormo****.5
From the UK and Northern Europe and Asia (and one from South America)

  1. Blue Faced Leicester***.5
  2. Black Welsh***
  3. Icelandic**
  4. Norwegian*
  5. Yak Down*****
  6. Tussah Silk****
  7. Egyptian Cotton *****
  8. Jacob*
  9. Wensleydale **.5
  10. Teeswater**.5
  11. Falkland***
  12. Shetland***
  13. Camel (in a blend)*****
  14. Alpaca (in a blend)*****
  15. South American***
  16. Merino/bamboo****
  17. Superwashed BFL****
And from the USA, but only in small amounts so far..

  1. Rambouillet****.5
  2. Targhee****.5
  3. Blue Faced Leicester***.5

43 down 37 to go....On the wish list is Navajo Churro. I don't actually know how many other breeds I have to go. Some fibres have been soft, some medium some coarse. I think I will do a simple * system, with 1* being coarse and ***** super soft. Some I have given a .5.

There is a slight difficulty getting fibres into Australia. I have no problem with it at all but I miss out on seeing what the wool is like straight from the sheep. All wool bought in from OS must be processed for Quarantine reasons, fair enough.

Right, so if you haven't guessed, I am one of the growing numbers of people who are looking back to the old ways, where hand made gifts were appreciated and valued. In this day and age, where disposable products abound for minimal cost, you must ask why one would go back in time?

The simple answer is, no store bought product can shake a tail at my home made goods in either quality or uniqueness. All my FO's (or finished objects in long hand), are one of a kind products. You will not find any yarn or goods, anywhere to match mine, even if it is done by another spinner. She may come close but it will never be exactly the same.

Shameless self promotion, check out my goods at Woolz'N'Yarns on Etsy

Better stop for this post... This is just the tip of the iceberg and I will go through my achievements and daily trials from now on......Welcome to My World...


1 comment:

  1. enjoyed reading your post, Karen. I am a fairly recent convert to the old ways of making presents and minimising the ridiculous amounts of money we spend at Christmas. There's nothing like a change in finances to bring you to your senses - LOL I look forward to following your blog in the future. Barbara (Jandawood1 on Ravelry but Tearose on my Google account).

    ReplyDelete

SOAP SOAP SOAP

The show went well.  Not as well as I would have liked but well enough... Now it's soap I am doing a lot of...Yet another old craft no...