Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ron Mueck Exhibition

The eldest and I went to the Ron Mueck Exhibition yesterday in at the National Gallery of Victoria.  He does sculptures of people and things out of silicone and resin etc.  Quite similar to what dear daughter does with her dolls.

I'll start at the beginning...  This is what I call cadaver man, he wasn't life size and was lying on a platform on the floor...

Next up was giant new born baby.. we were most interested in this one as this is Bonnie's forte.  He did not get the face in proportion in our veiw.  But I like the umbilicus...

Bonnie said she couldn't sculpt a baby that damn ugly....
Next was the giant wild man.  He was just plain freaky real.  I half expected him to get up and start walking around.

Here is a scale of how big he is.  That's Bonnie standing next to him.
I didn't really get a good pic of these two,  they were imo just gorgeous...I know a few old ladies just like these two....

They were small, just a couple of feet tall.
And back to the gargantuan

she is HUGE...
I am missing the naked fat chick carrying a bushell of sticks cause the photo wasn't any good.

The dude in the boat was bizarre.  The boat is actual sized but he's not..his expression is just creepy...



I was quite fascinated with this gang banger...
he was about 2ft tall again...

His cut was fantastic!!!!

I think this one was called old lady sleeping...she just plain looks dead...


she was quite small too..
Onto the just plain weird.  I have no idea why someone would want to do a sculpture of a chicken in the process of being processed....

again, it was huge...
Love the cut in it's neck...so real...

Apparently this one is a self portrait...


I just wanted to run my hand over his stubble.  This mask was hollow at the back but the front was so real.   Knowing a bit about rooting hair into dolls the placement of the hair in this was just great.  The others hair (except for the baby) was great too!!

and last but not least, this dude was on a blue wall...not quite life size..

Bonnies critique was that the colour was too pale.  Could have been the lighting too tho.  They all looked pretty dead...could have been the artists aim too.
Glad I went but to be quite honest, I wish there had been more sculptures.  Even if you read every little plaque on the wall and stood for a few minutes staring at each item, you were literally out of there in 45mins.  It actually took us longer to get there on the train ...
Still worth a look...

Just as well I went to Morris & Sons and got some more KP knitting needles afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOAP SOAP SOAP

The show went well.  Not as well as I would have liked but well enough... Now it's soap I am doing a lot of...Yet another old craft no...