Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I MUST be mental......

I'm heading to a Agriculture Show in March to sell some wares...not being financial enough to get another shipment of foreign fibre in I am going through my cupboards of fluff to see what is viable...I have a HEAP of very nice but kinda dirty East Friesian I have pulled out...I'm sifting through to find the least full of vm bits then throwing it through my coarse drum carder to help get the rest of the vegetable matter out.
Keep in mind that this is what stuffed up my arm and gave me tennis elbow (RSI)...

I started mid morning ish....and stopped about when Grant got home....pick pick card card, pick pick card card.........

Slaving all day......

for..................

a whole 380g......

So if anyone ever knits you anything from fleece, straight off a sheep...
BE VERY BLOODY GRATEFUL!!!!!
because it's taken them hours and hours of very hard work...
(to keep this in perspective...I would need over 1kg for a mans jumper and at least 100g for a hat or socks)


MY LATEST SPINNING

Fresh off the bobbin, washed and dried.  The first of my black shetland.  I have carded some dyed mulberry silk through some of it too..
After all that painstakingly fine stuff this is relatively thick.  Don't know the wraps per inch but it's likely about 12-14.  Weight is 384g.


The water when I washed it was absolutely disgusting!!!! It could have been a skein of raw wool and been cleaner...This means my theory is right about large scouring interests... They wash the white wools first then progress through the colour scales...black is the last...so although it has no oils in it...there is the dirt from about 4 tonnes of wool...I'll take pics next time of water.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOAP SOAP SOAP

The show went well.  Not as well as I would have liked but well enough... Now it's soap I am doing a lot of...Yet another old craft no...